Indian Frankincense, Boswellia serrata extract contains up to 85% monoterpenoids but also sesquiterpene alcohols and esters including incensole acetate. The content of Boswellia acids is below 0.1%
Indian Frankincense has been used traditionally to treat inflammations such as Inflammations of the bladder, irregular periods, nosebleeds, joint complaints and to improve elasticity of aging skin. It has been shown to be effective against Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli und Proteus mirabilis.
It also has efficacy against Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis.
The fragrance is composed by a Frankincense basenote balanced with woody, lemony and camphoraceous notes. It has a slightly sweet, spicy and herbaceous character.
Generally its therapeutic effects are comparable to the ones of Boswellia carterii.
(1) Kasali AA, Adio AM, Kundayo OE, Oyedeji AO, Adefenwa AO, Adeniyi BA : Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Boswellia serrata Roxb. (Fam. Burseraceae) bark : J. Essent. Oil Bear. Plants, 5: 173-175, 2002
(2) Patel NB, Patel KC : Antibacterial activity of Boswellia serrata Robx. ex Colebr. ethanomedicinal plant against gram negative UTI pathogens : Life Sci. Leaflets, 53: 976-1098, 2014
(3) Van Vuuren SF, Kamatou GP, Viljoen AM : Volatile composition and antimicrobial activity of twenty commercial frankincense essential oil samples : S. Afr. J. Bot., 76: 686-691, 2010.
(4) Camarda, L., Dayton, T., Di Stefano, V., Pitonzo, R., Schillaci, D., 2007 : Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of some oleogum resin essential oils from Boswellia SPP. (Burseraceae) : Anal. Chim. 97, 837-844
(5) Mothana RA : Anti-inflammatory, antinociceptive and antioxidant activities of the endemic Soqotraen Boswellia elongata Balf. f. and Jatropha unicostata Balf. f. in different experimental models : Food Chem. Toxicol, 49: 2594-2599, 2011.
Botanical name: Boswellia serrata
You may also enjoy
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.